scratch - Fleas

It can be distressing, watching your pet being irritated by fleas and it can be very annoying dealing with a flea infestation within your own home.

A heavy flea burden can be quite stressful and potentially harmful to you and your pet’s health.

Fleas can be found throughout the year, but they tend to be most active in the warmer months, this is because any eggs in the environment can stay dormant until they detect heat or movement, which in-turn causes them to hatch, for this reason alone it is always best practice to continue on flea treatment all year round. Prevention is much easier than dealing with the problem. Early prevention is the main key to avoiding bad skin irritations associated with fleas.

For every adult flea you find on your pet there is potentially 50 more immature stages on your pet and in its environment. This means that finding only a few fleas on your pet can be just the ‘tip of the iceberg’ in relation to its actual flea burden.

Only 5% of a flea infestation is seen on your pet the other 95% are in the environment.

It is important to know that not all flea treatments are equal in their efficacy.

 We find our clients are rarely satisfied with products purchased from the supermarket and their efficacy is quite low, most of these products will only kill or paralyse adult fleas and not treat any eggs/ larvae or the environment.

So, what can you do about a fleas?

34624 001 xl - Fleas

-Use a reputable, vet recommended, flea prevention all year round.

-Ensure sleeping areas and beds are cleaned regularly, particularly with a hot wash.

15809 simparica packs 1 1 - Fleas

-If any fleas are found on your pet be sure to treat all pets, wash all bedding, use a flea bomb on any carpet areas in the house

-Be sure to treat all animals at home, including cats. Cats are excellent groomers and less likely to scratch like dogs so can a hidden source of fleas.

For further information on flea products and control, contact our friendly staff on 03 5174 6999.